Rhymney Railway (Note: Numbers in brackets refer to specific references)
This was a small but very busy line, built to link the new docks at Cardiff to the Welsh coal fields following increasing congestion at Bute docks. The first section connecting with the docks at Cardiff opened in 1857. It had only about fifty route miles, most of which was double track after the 1870's, but built up a stud of over a hundred locomotives with its locomotive shops based at Caerphilly..
The goods stock had GWR wagon grey bodies with white lettering R R about 18 inches high in the usual places, the number about 6 inches high in the lower left and the load in the lower right in 4 inch italic script. Wooden chassis were painted grey but steel chassis and running gear on both types was painted black. Van roofs were white, brake van bodies were painted crimson. Early passenger livery was brownish red body and ends with cream upper panels, this later changed to all over red.
Fig ___ Rhymney Railway
Great Western Way - J. N. Slinn - HMRS - 1978/79/85 - ISBN 0 902835 09 2
This book details the livery practice of the GWR and also briefly covers the principal liveries of absorbed companies. There are not as many photographs as one might wish but there are plenty which suggest modelling ideas.